boston(617) 795-3611
new bedford(508) 316-9720
hingham(781) 908-0551

Special Masters in Massachusetts Divorce Cases


Masters are appointed by the court occasionally in divorce cases and other family law cases.  Masters, also sometimes referred to as special masters, are attorneys that hear facts for a case outside of court and then issue a report to the court.  The findings of a master are usually adopted by the court as orders.

If the court appoints a master, either party is allowed to object by filing a written objection. The court may ask the objecting party to set forth the reasons the court should not appoint a master.  The parties also may simply agree to the appointment of a master for any issue involved in the divorce or family law matter.

There are a number of rules that apply when a master is appointed.  These rules include the fact that the master is to prepare a report, including facts and findings and discussion of applicable law, and the master’s recommendations.  Either party may file the report, but not before each party has a chance to comment and suggest changes.  Either party may also object to the report.

In some highly complex cases, masters may be a useful tool for resolution.  Masters have more time and can expend more energy sifting through mountains of paperwork, which the court may not have the time or resources to do.  For more information about when masters may be involved in divorce cases, and for what issues they may need to address, call or email our firm today.

Our firm serves Boston as well as all courts in Bristol County, including the New Bedford, Fall River and Taunton courthouses.  We also serve all courts in Plymouth County including the Family and Probate Courthouses in Plymouth and Brockton.

Client Review

"My experience with W&F has been very positive. David has proven himself to be a skilled negotiator & litigator."
Ryan G.