boston(617) 795-3611
new bedford(508) 316-9720
hingham(781) 908-0551

Complaints To Restrain Personal Liberties And Prevent Abuse In Divorce


After a complaint for divorce is filed by a plaintiff spouse, either party may petition the court to enter an order restraining the personal liberty of the other party, to protect that party, to remove the other party from the family residence, and to prevent abuse.  (M.G.L.A. c. 208, § 18; 34)  These provisions are specific to divorce cases.  Of course, orders to prevent abuse and similar orders may be obtained by persons who are not married under M.G.L.A. c. 209A.

When a request for protection or to remove a spouse from a home is filed, the motion must be supported by a written affidavit detailing all the facts and circumstances of abuse or fear of apprehension.  Interestingly, once an order restraining personal liberties is entered by the Probate and Family Court, the order is entered into a statewide record system called the Domestic Violence Record Keeping System Control data bank.

For more information about domestic violence and orders preventing abuse, removing a spouse from a personal residence, or restraints on personal liberties in divorce and separate support cases, call or email our office today.  We offer a free, private initial consultation to discuss your options.

With offices in both New Bedford and Boston, our firm can help residents of Suffolk, Middlesex, Bristol, and Plymouth counties.

Client Review

"My experience with W&F has been very positive. David has proven himself to be a skilled negotiator & litigator."
Ryan G.