boston(617) 795-3611
new bedford(508) 316-9720
hingham(781) 908-0551

Where Do I File My Divorce Case in Massachusetts?


In Massachusetts, either spouse may bring an action for divorce in any county in which one of the spouse’s lives.  However, if one of the parties lives in the county where the parties last lived together, the divorce case must be filed in that county.

Notably, there is typically more than one probate courthouse in each county that handles divorce matters.  In Bristol County, a divorce may be filed in New Bedford, Fall River, or Taunton.  Depending on which city the plaintiff or defendant lives will determine which courthouse a case must be filed.

For more information about filing for divorce, call our office today for a free, private consultation.  You can also send us an email at your convenience.

Our firm serves all courts in Bristol County, including the New Bedford, Fall River and Taunton courthouses.  We also serve all courts in Plymouth County including the Family and Probate Courthouses in Plymouth and Brockton.

Client Review

"My experience with W&F has been very positive. David has proven himself to be a skilled negotiator & litigator."
Ryan G.